1. Sony’s new handheld console, the Playstation Vita, was the company’s primary focus this year. Although at first glance it may look (superficially at least) like the original PSP, it boasts two analogue sticks instead of one, a built-in gyroscope, a touch screen and cameras on both the front and the back of the unit.
2. The console also allows for voice chat regardless of where you are or which game you’re playing, and will have 3DS Streetpass-like functionality that enables you to compare trophies with friends or connect wirelessly with other Vita users.
3. No concrete release date for the Playstation Vita has been touted yet, but it’s expected later this year.
4. As with Apple’s iPad device, there will be two versions of the Vita machine available; one with Wi-Fi, and a slightly pricier model that also has 3G connectivity. As with the iPad, the 3G enabled model requires a contract from a mobile service provider.
5. Plenty of terrific-looking software was announced. Top of the pile was a brand new Uncharted prequel, named Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which was so absurdly good-looking that it wouldn’t have looked too out of place on the Playstation 3.
6. Ken Levine, the lead creator of Bioshock Infinite, enigmatically pulled a Vita console from his pocket while presenting his new game, suggesting that a brand new (and possibly exclusive) Bioshock title is due to appear on the machine sometime soon.
7. One of Sony’s most underrated new franchises – Modnation Racers – is getting a brand new Vita outing. All user-created tracks made on the original game – the PS3 or the PSP version – will be available to download free from day one. This new Modnation Racers title won’t just be just a port either.
8. A new Wipeout game for Vita – titled Wipeout 2048 – is on its way. You can expect a new LittleBigPlanet game too, and the much anticipated new fighting game Street Fighter X Tekken has also been confirmed for Vita.
9. The Playstation 3 wasn’t left wanting when it came to quality software either, and Uncharted 3 and Resistance 3 are both looking predictably outstanding. Resistance 3 will also be released in a “Doomsday Edition” which will include the game, a sharpshooter gun peripheral and all required parts of the Playstation Move.
10. God Of War: Origins, which contains two HD ports of the excellent PSP God Of War titles, is due for release in September of this year. HD remakes of Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus are both due for release at around the same time.
11. A new Sly Cooper game – called Thieves In Time – is due out in 2012.
12. Dust 514 (a PS3 exclusive) combines the online world of the massively popular Eve Online with its own. Things that happen in Dust, happen in Eve and vice versa. Due out in 2012, this could be massive.
Watch the latest E3 trailer for Uncharted 3 here: