As part of our ‘meet the studios’ feature that we are running we start our journey with the UK based Arrow Films.
Arrow Films are based in Hertfordshire in the UK since 1991. They are a multifaceted distributor of feature films and TV series and specialize in Nordic Noir amongst other things. They carry some of the most popular film and television titles like Big Trouble in Little China, The Fury, The Bridge, Borgen and many more. Their back catalogue spans over 30 years and includes some of the best horrors from the 80’s which I consider to be the golden age of video nasty’s and horror flicks. The 1980’s was almost like the enlightenment for the horror genre.
Arrow Films explore the possibility of other sub-labels with the introduction of ArrowDrome which showcases their video releases and encompasses the genres of Horror, Sci-fi, Erotic, Drama, Crime and Action to mention but a few.
They had a setback in 2011 during the London riots. Their warehouse set ablaze and stock was lost, leading to significant production setbacks. Adversity, that they conquered!
Arrow Films have won numerous awards including British Video Association’s Marketing Initiative of the Year and have been mentioned in the Guardian. They are truly committed to quality video and cinemas releases. The studio quite frequently releases film uncut encapsulating the true spirit in which the movie was made.
February the 24th will see the release of Brian De Palma’s influential horror fantasy ‘Phantom of the Paradise’ with specially designed artwork for the front cover. For the first time in the UK it will be available on Blu-ray in stunning quality and is one of Arrow Video’s hotly anticipated releases. It is confirmed to be released as a limited edition Steelbook and as a Blu-ray which will include an exclusive collector’s booklet. Both versions will be packed full of extra features and bonus materials. Please see below for a detailed breakdown.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, available in the UK for the first time!
- Original uncompressed Stereo PCM / 4.0 DTS-HD Master Audio options.
- Isolated Music and Effects soundtrack.
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired.
- Paradise Regained – A 50 minute documentary on the making of the film featuring director Brian De Palma, producer Ed Pressman, the late star William Finley, star and composer Paul Williams, co-stars Jessica Harper and Gerrit Graham and more!
- Guillermo Del Toro interviews Paul Williams (72 mins, 2014).
- The Swan Song Fiasco: A new video piece exploring the changes made to the film in post-production.
- Archive interview with costume designer Rosanna Norton.
- William Finley on the Phantom doll!
- Paradise Lost and Found: Alternate takes and bloopers from the cutting room floor.
- Original Trailers.
- Radio Spots.
- Gallery of rare stills including behind-the-scenes images by photographer Randy Black
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth and an exploration of the film’s troubled marketing history by Ari Kahan, curator of SwanArchives.org, illustrated with original stills and promotional material.
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Red Dress [Amaray release only].
- Limited Edition SteelBook™ packaging featuring original artwork [ SteelBook only].
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by John Kenneth Muir, author of The Films of John Carpenter, as well as a re-print of an interview with production designer John Lloyd and make-up effects artist Steve Johnson on the design and effects of the film, illustrated with archive stills and posters.
Have a look at some of their releases coming soon.
- The Bridge
- White of the Eye
- Phantom of the Paradise
- Pit Stop
- White of the Eye
- Blind Woman’s Curse
- The Long Goodbye
- Big Trouble in Little China
Their website www.arrowfilms.co.uk has special offers and numerous promotions. We quite frequently feature their steelbook on our site also. Arrow Films, a distributor of classic, horror and cult films.