Still in need of some last-minute Halloween costume ideas? Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story lends itself perfectly as a source of quivering inspiration. Its 5th season ‘Hotel’ premiered earlier this month and is more graphic, violent and decadent than ever! From The Countess’ glamorous 1940s look to the bloody murder victims who come crawling out of beds, costume designer Lou Eyrich has provided us with a goldmine of ideas for American Horror Story Halloween costumes this year!
To give you a little push in the right direction, here’s our top 10 favourite characters to dress up as from the last five seasons. Read our suggestions on how to get the look!
Dressing up as The Countess from American Horror Story: Hotel gives you the perfect excuse to combine scary with couture! Lady Gaga’s character is, quite literally, always dressed to kill and looks like she has just walked out of an old Hollywood film. Her glam, however, has a dark side to it, so feel free to scare your friends by suddenly reaching out to their necks.
- Fancy glitter gloves with sharp, metallic stiletto nails
- Either a white robe stained with blood or an elegant evening dress
- Glamorous, Hollywood hairstyle
- Dramatic, winged eyeliner
- Red lipstick
Give me my treat. You don’t want the trick!
Larry Harvey is the previous owner of the Murder House in AHS Season 1 and stalks the Harmon family regularly asking them for money. He was accused of setting his family on fire, which allegedly caused the burns on his face.
- A suit
- Glassy contact lens
- Black pork pie hat
- A fake burn on your face (tip: use gelatin with old mascara and red lipstick)
Pepper was part of Fräulein Elsa’s Cabinet of Curiosities in AHS: Freak Show and ended up in Briarcliff Manor after she supposedly killed her sister’s baby and cut off his ears. But is Pepper truly that vile or has she got a very sweet side to her?
- Shaved head and ponytail at the back
- False teeth
- Big fake nose and ears
- Pink, woolly cardigan and collared frock
Tate, portrayed by Evan Peters, is the mentally disturbed son of Constance Langdon. He committed a mass shooting at his high school in 1994 after which he was killed by a SWAT team. He later returns to the Murder House as a ghost, taking an interest in the Harmons’ daughter Violet and impregnating her mother Vivien with the devil child.
- Slicked back hair
- Black hoody, T-shirt, trousers and boots
- Skull make-up
A member of the coven
Before Lady Gaga was the absolute queen of style of American Horror Story, we had Fiona Goode (Jessica Lange) and her gang of witches in AHS: Coven. Whether you’re going for Zoe’s bohemian black-hat-and-boots look or as preppy Madison “surprise, bitch” Montgomery, surely no witch has ever looked so modern and stylish.
- Black country dress
- Big, floppy hat
- Black Dr Martens
Tristan Duffy (Finn Wittrock) is the cocky, coked-up model who visits Hotel Cortez for a fashion show and never ends up leaving. After he’s turned into a vampire by the Countess, his incessant craving for blood starts taking on serious, and very sexy, forms.
- Punky black hair streaked with a red lock
- Tight pants
- Flashy jacket with a low-cut or unbuttoned shirt underneath
- Big cut on the cheek
Remember Shelley (Chloe Sevigny), the alleged nymphomaniac in AHS: Asylum? If you really want to shock people this Halloween, go as poor Shelley after Dr. Arden deformed and tortured her with his horrible medical experiments. Only for the brave.
- White lingerie or night dress
- Fake boils and blisters using gelatine, flour and make-up
Marie Laveau (Angela Bassett) from AHS: The Coven is the immortal Voodoo Queen of New Orleans. She’s the arch enemy of Delphine LaLaurie and wreaked revenge on her after she found out Delphine tortured her lover. Scary fact: did you know Laveau and LaLaurie are based on real people who lived in New Orleans in the 1800s?
- An elegant, bohemian maxi-dress
- African head wrap
- Gold hoop earrings and beads
- A fake boa constrictor wrapped around your shoulders
Sally from AHS: Hotel is the rock-n-roll ghost queen of Hotel Cortez. She looks like a mix between Nancy Spungen and Patti Smith, and has a dark, junkie past. Together with The Addiction Demon (the waxy monster in Room 64), she taunts the other guests of the hotel.
- Cheetah print coat
- Purple mini-dress
- Black choker with a cameo
- Fishnet stockings and silver pumps
- Smudged black make-up
- Short, bleached waffle hair
- A cigarette in your mouth
Twisty the Clown
If you really want all eyes to be turned on you this Halloween, dress up as Twisty the Clown (John Carroll Lynch), the murderous clown from AHS season 4, Freak Show. The story behind his haunting grin is that he once attempted to commit suicide and blew off his lower jaw. In order to cover it up, he wears a prosthetic mask. If you do decide to dress up as Twisty this year, please stay away from children’s parties.
- Wear a bald cap or stick your hair up straight in three parts and use red, green and yellow hair spray
- Wear a filthy clown suit with blood stains
- Draw a big grin on your face with make-up and face paint
- Draw a line of fake blood where your hairline is supposed to be